*Update as of 12/27/21: We are no longer accepting applications. Thank you! 🙂 *
About the Company
Personal Finance Club (PFC) is a small, but profitable online startup seeking its third team member! Founded in 2019 as a free financial literacy resource, Personal Finance Club launched its first product in late 2020, a $79 index fund investing course. In the first 12 months we sold over $600,000 and we would like to double that next year. We’re currently a team of two (Jeremy, the founder, and Vivi, the first employee) looking to hire another ass kicker to help PFC continue to grow exponentially!
About the Role
Some potential tasks will include (but not be limited to):
- Researching and doing analysis on personal finance and investing topics to be posted on Instagram and other social media
- Creating compelling graphics to be used on social media and our website
- Creating compelling SEO friendly website articles
- Composing and sending weekly PFC newsletters
- Answering and moderating the PFC community
- Helping set up structure for future employees
- Helping do market research and designing new products and services
- Anything else to help the business grow. We’re a small team so we all wear many hats!
About the Perfect Applicant
Primarily we are looking for someone smart and driven. Someone who learns quickly and gets things done. This position is remote (unless you’re in San Diego and want to start an office). It will often have limited structure but unlimited opportunity to help grow the business.
- Very technologically savvy
- Strong knowledge of personal finance and investing
- Strong excel/google sheets and math skills
- Strong writing skills
- Quick learner
- Effective problem solver
- Self-sufficient and motivated
- Hungry and ambitious to help grow something cool
Nice to haves:
- Graphic design experience (photoshop, illustrator, powerpoint)
- Flare for story telling
- Social media expertise
- WordPress/Web technology experience
- Google drive and G Suites experience
- CFP or other financial designation
About the Position
- This is a full-time, remote role.
- You must be authorized to work in the United States.
- The pay is $70,000/year.
- Profit sharing bonus (employees split 25% of the profit each year. Vivi’s bonus in 2021 was over $71,000, more than her actual salary)
- $1,000 home-office budget to get your desk and computer ready to work.
- Unlimited PTO policy with a one week per quarter minimum required vacation.
- We pay your cell phone bill
- Vanguard 401(k) with company match coming in early 2022!
- Fast growth, flexible, exciting, and fun job!
How to Apply
In order to help us identify the best candidates, and let them stand out from the crowd, we’re not posting an email to apply. Instead we’re posting a PUZZLE! Solve the puzzle to get our e-mail address! (No cheating by applying through other channels). Note that it’s not meant to be especially tricky, but you should pay attention to detail to avoid getting the wrong numbers! Here’s the puzzle:
a =ROUND(ABS(-FV(0.1, 12, 500)), 0)
b = The closing share price of the S&P 500 index on January 4th 2021, rounded to the nearest 1,000
c = The year our domain name was originally created
d = a + b + c (add, don’t concatenate)
The email to apply is the number represented by d @ our domain name.
When you figure it out, send us an email to that address with your resume, tell us a bit about yourself, and send us something you’ve created! Note that for the last job we posted, we got over 250 applications so please give yourself the best chance to stand out! 🙂