As part of the charitable mission of Personal Finance Club, we donate 20% of our sales to charity each month. Last month we had $110,129 in sales which means we have a $22,025 check to write to charity. But this month, we’re going to make it sporting. We are gonna try to increase that amount by day trading it for a month first! Here’s how it will work:
• Comment below the ticker symbol of a single stock (no ETFs or mutual funds) we should buy. Like the ticker symbols you want to see us buy.
• On Monday October 11th at noon, I’ll buy $10,000 worth of the most liked stock and $10,000 of VT, the Total World Stock Index Fund ETF.
• Each (market open) day after that I’ll run a poll in my stories, between the next two most liked stocks on the list. At noon, I’ll sell the stock we bought the day before, and put all the money into the new winning stock. So we’ll always own exactly one stock on the day trading side and VT on the index fund side.
• Each day I’ll post an update of how our day trading is doing vs the ETF.
• At noon on Wednesday, November 10th, I’ll sell both the stock we end up with and VT and donate the entire amount to @givewellorganization
• If your day trading skills and/or the index fund happens to fail me and we end up with less than we started with, I’ll guarantee at least a donation of the $22,025 we committed to.
Is the wisdom of crowds going to beat the index fund? I have no idea. I think it’s a coin flip, because over just a month there will be a lot of randomness and volatility from trading a single stock. I don’t think it has any chance of consistently beating the market over time, but if I DID just unlock the secret to beating the market… well, you can find me in Fiji running Instagram polls and diving into swimming pools full of you know what.
As always, reminding you to build wealth by following the two PFC rules: 1.) Live below your means and 2.) Invest early and often.